Sunday, March 15, 2009

Huevos Albañil


Serves 5-6 people

One of the things that I look forward to when we have guests is to go out for food! Yes, I enjoy cooking will will usually do about 50+ % of the cooking, but when we go out it gives our guests and visitors and exposure to the regions' food.
The Hotel El Camino in Santa Clara del Cobre, is one of my favorite places to have breakfast. Although expensive, by local standards it is pretty decent and worth the pesos.
When I find a dish that I like, I will usually keep ordering it, and this dish is easy and tasty.
I will show you how to make it both the easy and then the traditional way.

Huevos Albanil is basically scrambled eggs in a salsa. Albanil translates into a brick or stone mason.
So this must have been a recipe that was easy to do, or at least the salsa makes it look like that.

First the hard way.

Place tomatillos and onions , chilies,garlic into small sauce pan, cover with water about 3/4 of the way, bring to boil and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool.

Take the tomatillos , onion garlic and toss into a blender or food processor.
Split a Serrano chile and if you can stand the heat , chop fine with seeds and add to blender. If you can't stand the heat, carefully remove the seeds and membrane and toss in. ( Be sure and do not rub your eyes or any other sensitive parts of your body after doing this)

Process to homogenize, about one minutes, you want some rough chunks but not totally smooth.
For the last 15 seconds toss in the cilantro.

Remove from blender and put into skillet with about 2 TBS of vegetable oil and cook for 15 minutes or until mixture is reduced to a syrup consistency. Add salt and pepper and adjust seasoning.

Take the eggs and place into buttered skillet, scramble and cook until all set. Try not to over cook the eggs, since it will make them dry. Break into chunks about the size of 1/4 slices of bread. Take the salsa and cover the eggs and let warm up another minute or so.
Place into shallow soup bowl, swimming in the salsa and enjoy!
You can also add some grated cheese of your liking or I have added some red salsa as shown on the picture.

Things you will need:

.5 kilo of tomatillos, husks removed and washed, quartered.
1 small white onion , outer skin removed, quartered.
4 small cloves or garlic, skin removed, chopped fine.
2 Serrano Chiles, chopped fine. (remove seeds for heat control if you like)
2 Tbs vegetable oil.
8 to 10 eggs.
salt and pepper.
One large hand full of cilantro leaves, washed and chopped.


The Easy way.

One Jar Herdez green chile salsa.
cilantro
8-10 eggs.


Take the salsa and add about 1/2 cup of water to a saucepan, heat with contents of the jar.
Cook the eggs as above, chop the cilantro, top the cooked eggs with the heated prepared salsa, add the cilantro and serve.

1 comment:

Don Cuevas said...

That easy?

I was thinking that the partially scrambled eggs were cooked a bit in the sauce.

I have had this dish made with a salsa de chiles manzanos, as at the Gran Hotel in Pátzcuaro.

A couple of days ago, I made salsa verde but lacked cilantro. Although I had plenty of parsley, I wouldn't do that, no way.

So I crumbled in some dried hoja santa I got a year ago in Oaxaca. It gives the sauce a slight anise taste.

I usually roast the peeled tomatillos with some garlic, onion and salt, in a 375º F oven, then blend to chunky consistency. Unfortunately, this time I blended them to a puree.

Buen provecho,
Mike

Powered By Blogger

My Blog List