Saturday, June 6, 2009

Carrots Vichy.


I like carrots, and they like me. Here is a picture of some of my crop, the skinny ones are the ones that I have to pull so that the big ones will have room to grow up nice and big , strong and tasty!

This variety are called, Nantes.

Here is a simple recipe. This was one of my most popular items on my catering menu. It is also one that you should learn since it's easy. I usually love to make for formal dinners.

I would suggest that you cut the carrots on the bias, it looks a lot better than just chopped in rounds.
To prep, take the carrots , wash and peel, cut on the bias in about 1/8 inch thickness.
Place the carrots in a 12 inch skillet or saucepan, cover with Vichy or soda water, toss in the salt, cook until tender usually about 5 to 10 minutes depending on the freshness of the carrots.
Drain,
Toss in the butter, toss the carrots over medium heat until all the butter is melted and the carrots are heated through. Then add the sugar, toss, salt and pepper to taste, top with chopped wide leaf parsley...serve.
See I told you it was easy!

Stuff you will need:

About 5 cups yield of carrots peeled and sliced 1/8 thick
Vichy or Soda water
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4cup butter
2 TBS sugar
1 TBS chopped parsley.



That's it!


3 comments:

Leslie Harris said...

Very tempting and best of all, easy! Still, I can't help but feel a little jealous every time you post a pic from your garden. One of these days I'm going to ask my hubby to build me a place to garden in our back patio that is nothing but cement!

Tancho said...

At my age, I consider it cheap therapy! Maybe I will post plans on how easy it is to build an above ground box. One of mine, the one that I yanked the carrots out of is 2ft high, 10ft long and 4ft wide. In that one box ( I have about 6 of them) you can rotate enough great stuff to feed the family and then some.
I takes about 30 minutes a day to tend to them, time that I am not wasting doing other mindless stuff.
With you, your family will appreciate the fresher food, and the kids will figure out where it comes from.......
Cement would be perfect to put those boxes on, start with one, first.

Leslie Harris said...

Constantino, you are a genius! I never would have thought to build a box! I for one, would love and appreciate it if you posted a how-to. This is the kind of project my kiddies and I would love!

Powered By Blogger

My Blog List